Sunday, October 25, 2009

A little repeat for me!!

Today my Buddy Jim met me at The Serena Cafe and the game plan was to see the covered bridge in Princeton IL. I was here earlier in the year before anything started growing. When I was their I promised myself to come back in the fall to see it when the leaves turned in the fall.

The only thing is we had some heavy rain and strong wind earlier in the week and that stripped the trees. :( It still looked nice with what was left.



Looks like a very old advertisement for maybe cough medicine!?



100_2025 100_2026

box elder bugs coming out to sun themselves from the crack of door.


These little wannabe bees were the story of the day. They were all over our bikes and us. I just had to make sure to get them out of my helmet every time we geared up.


More fly's wanting a ride.


A lock on the Hennepin canal.

100_2028 100_2031

Finally hitting the 10K on the KLR

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tech-day at my house with some folks off the web.


I follow a few forums on the KLR 650 and the one had a few people asking when the next Chicago area tech-day would be. I have everything  needed besides parts to get most work needed done. My bike is mostly done with modifying it so why not help out other that need some tweaking.

Today was the day and I have to say it was a ton of fun getting one bike up to par and another set up for a better ride.

It’s always nice to put user names to real names and faces. Also creating more opportunities for more friends and riding buddies.


Only two bikes to work on but plenty to get done in a few hours.


Thanks to John jumping into Adams engine, I was able to mostly say on Jim’s bike.  Adam looks really happy for having a broken Doo, but it was only in two parts. That’s worth smiling about!IMG_1915

This is the dreaded Doo. Basically  this one failed due to a weld didn’t even penetrate into the round section. Thankfully it didn’t hurt the motor but I’m surprised the adjuster shaft didn’t rotate.IMG_1905

New Doo in place and ready for the torsion spring to be hooked.


Working the spring into the Doo was a small challenge.


Avoiding the garage troll was a constant challenge!! :)IMG_1911

Getting Jim’s Doo done. His was in good shape, in one piece and a lot of spring tension left. We also installed the torsion spring.


So all together we did two Doo’s, rear raising links, front springs with fresh fork oil, fork brace, 22 cents carb mod, front and rear sprockets with a chain.

I want to thank everyone for helping out.